18 January 2010

Thanks, mom!

This is going to seem like a ridiculously trivial subject to write about after more than three months away...But you've gotta start somewhere.

At the moment, adding to the varied collection of jobs I've held (no standard-issue CV for me, no sirree!), I am working as a temporary administrative assistant for a Danish/Indian firm that's overseeing the installation of 11 wind turbines on the road between Rivas and the Costa Rican border. So far, going into week 2, I am being vastly under-used, but I'm not complaining because a job is a job is a job!

This morning my boss asked if I could go into town to pick up some supplies. No problem, I said--I just need a vehicle. This being a construction site, essentially, almost all of my co-workers are driving pickup trucks. Very new, relatively fancy pickup trucks of course. How happy I was to be able to hop into the truck and go, without a second thought except for the fact that I'm still not quite as comfortable driving large vehicles as I am small ones.

In one of those random moments that highlight differences between U.S. and European habits, I realized that my boss hadn't even asked if I could drive a manual transmission car; he just assumed. And I thought, thanks, Mom! For insisting on teaching us how to drive a stick-shift, on the theory that it was better to be prepared in an emergency situation to drive whatever was available. It's been a very long and sinuous road since that time of creeping down Vermont Avenue in the old rusty-red Chevette...but with this and many other skills my parents imparted, I rarely hesitate to keep moving, even when it's not clear what lies around the next corner. So I'm feeling grateful on this fine sunny morning in southern Nicaragua.

1 comment:

Mira said...

Ya, well there's always something we can thank them for. We sure learned how to survive, perhaps not in the best ways, but survival is key.

Glad to see you back.